Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Billy Bragg - Talking with the Taxman About Poetry (1986)

Time to take a break from the punker side of things to something that is very relevant to a current situation. Now I don't work for a union, nor have I ever for that matter, but I understand a union's importance within the work force. My girlfriends family have worked with unions for generations, along with other people that I know. I also happen to work for one of the biggest union busting corporations in the whole world, in which every year they "retrain" you in their culture, much of which consists of busting unions. I just don't get it, but I am also one of those people who gets a headache after trying to wrap my head around too much politics. I do know that our country, and many many others, were built by the working class. While those old white guys are arguing about what rights they want to take away from us, people are out there breaking their backs to provide for the country they live in, and their families.

I don't know what my political affiliations are anymore, but I do know the difference between right and wrong. And what has happened in Wisconsin, and currently happening in other states like Indiana and Ohio, is wrong. There is one good thing coming from this, though, and that is that our complacent culture is remembering how to protest for basic rights. Fight for your rights, ya know? Seriously though, I think we are living in a very unstable political climate, and people are realizing this and are standing up for what they believe is right. It's time for a change, and the change starts with us, people realizing they have rights and that they are being violated.

So I decided to dedicate a post to this situation with Billy Bragg's Talking with the Taxman About Poetry. For those who aren't already acquainted with Mr Braggs music, it's a wonderful version of contemporary folk music, maintaining the traditions of protest and romanticism within the genre. And Bragg is known for his leftist ideals, supporting worker's unions among championing many other basic human rights. His influence can be seen all over modern music, like in Ted Leo, for example. It's almost as though Bragg could have been his dad. That would be neat.

Anyway, this is my favorite of his albums and contains a many protest anthems. "There is Power in a Union" and "Help Save the Youth of America" should be playing constantly in Madison these days. But the star of this album is "Levi Stubbs' Tears", my favorite song ever penned by Bragg. A bit of a downer song that is guaranteed to tug at those heartstrings. But within the despair of the narrative, Bragg is able to find a glimmer of hope, and the song continues on with it's melancholy. A truly fantastic song, one worth the price of the album alone.

Now go out and riot in the streets, as my ole' lady says.

Tracks
  1. Greetings to the New Brunette
  2. Train Train
  3. The Marriage
  4. Ideology
  5. Levi Stubbs' Tears
  6. Honey, I'm a Big Boy Now
  7. There is Power in a Union
  8. Help Save the Youth of America
  9. Wishing the Days Away
  10. The Passion
  11. The Warmest Room
  12. The Home Front
Help save the sun tanned surfer boys.

1 comments:

Chris said...

Actually downloaded this because our receiver done broke and I only have this on vinyl. Thanks for reminding me about it.

Post a Comment