Friday, March 25, 2011

William Elliott Whitmore - Latitudes (2005)




Readers beware: Things are about to get heavy.

Now lately, it seems as though life is a question of authenticity. As human beings, we want to experience something truly real, authentic. That may be why I am an artist, to ponder the authenticity of a collected life experience through my own scope of reference. I listen to a lot of music because I feel as though I want to find those people that can literally give a voice to that authenticity that I find through my own means. Now punk, or hardcore, can be closely related to this due to it's own history. People grew up through oppressive times and wanted to voice their opinions about those times in an aggressive and raw way. Hence, punk music, a truly authentic form of music. That is why I listen to punk music, the truly legitimate stuff has something to say about a topic one person thinks is important, and should be heard. And the same can be said for anything, art, music, film, etc.

Now that that existential paragraph is over with, lets talk about something real, something pure. Because, really, who wants me to ramble on about defending an abrasive genre of music through some weird legitimate means. Christ. I know I wouldn't. I really need to get back on track here...

William Elliott Whitmore. I am just going to cut right to the chase here. This guy is fucking authentic. I mean normally when you think of singer/songwriters with an acoustic guitar, your reaction should be the want of doing some selfdepricating act to yourself before listening to the garbage some old, greedy sac of skin is trying to shove down your throat. Yikes, what a visual. But this guy, he has true passion for what he is doing, and I am really fascinated by it. His personal history alone is worth looking into, because it is the basis for most of his work thus far. I won't do the google search for you, but just know that people very dear to him have passed, and this guy has suffered through more than anyone person can go through in such a short span of time. Those experiences, though tragic, were the basis of his first three records. A trilogy of loss, very autobiographical, and the hope that can be found through such tragedy. That alone is authentic. And just when you think the dude is done, he releases his first album, Animals in the Dark, that breaks free of that trilogy and becomes a beast of its own merits. An album that speaks against those who have done us wrong in this world, much like in the tradition of the folk music he plays, protest songs. Take that Jack Johnson. Life can't only be about luaus and fucking grass skirts.

Latitudes was a session he did when in London for the label that released most of his music, Southern Records. It dates before the last LP of the trilogy, Song of the Blackbird, so we get renditions of two of those songs, one older song, and three unreleased songs (some may or may not be older folk songs, I am not as well versed in traditional folk music as I would like to be). It may not be the best collection of his songs, but I would rather post something out of print, than the albums that are still around and kicking. You'll find yourself stomping your feet along with him in no time.

By the way, if you have the chance to see this guy perform, take it. I have been blessed to see him a few times, and everytime he sings with more passion than a passionfruit! And then buy everything he has for sale. And then go online and buy more to support someone who is living life truly authentically.

Tracks:
  1. One Man's Shame
  2. Take It On the Chin
  3. Sometimes Our Dreams Float Like Anchors
  4. Have Mercy
  5. Buildin' Me a Home
  6. The Prairie Yields to the Plow
The hammer swings high, and comes down hard.

0 comments:

Post a Comment