Thursday, May 5, 2011

Molina & Johnson - S/T (2009)




I've been slacking. To my loyal readers, you two people know who you are, my sincerest apologies. To make up for it, and to begin posting anew, I have this little modern Americana gem. A collaborative effort between Jason Molina and Will Johnson, aptly titled, Molina and Johnson. Jason Molina is the much beloved leader of the bands Songs:Ohio and Magnolia Electric Co. along with some of his own solo efforts. Will Johnson, on the other hand, heads the overlooked/under appreciated Centro-Matic and the folkier output, South San Gabriel. That is one hell of a super-duo, huh? I thought so, much like that Weakerthans collaborative effort I posted.

I remember the exact day that I bought this album, maybe a year or so ago, and heading back to my friends place, trudging through a rainstorm. We got back, played the few hardcore 7in that we bought, in which the listening went by rather fast, and I decided to put this on. This album enveloped us, as we sat sheltered from the rain. Dreary, atmospheric Americana folk music seemed to hypnotize us, barely noticing any outside distraction until the a-side clicked off. It was almost as though the music was haunting us, washing over us in a wave of warmth from the weather. Secretly Canadian, the label this output was on, describes this album in grandiose terms, using the leverage of the two writer's backgrounds. Prolific roots music. I am not denying this record's greatness, but I think the description would have been more apt had it just said music to get lost with. Lost in a variable of definitions, in your own head, in a book, etc.

The rainy weather we have been having has been perfect for this record, making me stay in my apartment, and getting lost in my own head.

Tracks:
  1. Twenty Cycles to the Ground
  2. All Falls Together
  3. All Gone, All Gone
  4. Almost Let You In
  5. In the Avalon/Little Killer
  6. Don't Take My Night From Me
  7. Each Star Marks a Day
  8. Lenore's Lullaby
  9. The Lilly and the Brakeman
  10. Now, Divide
  11. What You Reckon, What You Breathe
  12. As Long as it will Matter
  13. 34 Blues
  14. Wooden Heart
Leave this place.

1 comments:

Dan said...

Downloading this.

In the meantime you really need to listen to this...

South San Gabriel covering Lionel Richie
http://soundcloud.com/centro-matic/all-night-long

Post a Comment