Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Vinyl Distractions: V/A - Punx Don't Drink


I never want the blog to become a catalyst for self-promotion. Should it be a confluence of my own conspicuous thoughts on music and culture? Of course, but that is the only thing I should be promoting, my own pretension. Inevitably, something I have had a hand in will make it to this blog. The blog is about music, and if I just so happen to have conspired in the subject of a post, then so be it. This volume of "Vinyl Distractions" happens to be of this case. Deal with it.

Punx Don't Drink huh? Sounds like a bunch of prepubescent, straight edge, dollar-bin garbage. Now some of that may or may not be true, but please don't judge this record by it's layout. This compilation contains, indeed, four straight edge hardcore bands, with Boiling Over being the one that I was in. This also happens to be the first piece of wax that is quite literally my own, something I directly contributed to, which makes it a very special part of the feature. Test presses are always sought after, and when this record was handed to me it was like my heart was warmed with straight edge goodness. I had finally done it, I finally had a test press of my, somewhat, own record. It was a culmination of life experiences, a popping of my test press cherry. Also, we were blessed to have shared this record with three great bands, a compilation of excellence in fast contemporary hardcore. Truly, a great record to have had a hand in.

I believe this record is still in print, maybe on it's second press, and had definitely been making the rounds for a few years now. Check your local record store of the Third Party Records website to procure this piece of wax.

Sidenote: If you are familiar with local Chicago Hardcore Hooligans, you will recognize the greatness in choosing that picture as the cover. Real funny stuff.

0 comments:

Post a Comment