Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sebadoh - Bakesale (1994)



Let's talk desert island here. No, wait, not desert island. I wand to discuss pure isolation type of stuff. Such as, the rapture has happened and you just happen to be saved amongst the flock and find yourself sitting next to people the likes of Steven Tyler and Axl Rose. Because they are going to be saved, right? Right. So what do you have to keep you sane? Well, I don't know if sane is exactly the right word there, because you are well past the point of return. What small comforts do you have left, but 5 albums. What would you choose?

For me, the answer is always changing, but one thing is for damn sure, Sebadoh's 1994 record, Bakesale, would be there. Many people prefer Bubble and Scrape, or even the barely listenable early recordings Barlow and Co made. Personally, this takes the cake. The breadth of maturity Sebadoh reached when recording this record hits a plateau, that for me, few have been able to reach. A full encompassing sound in which straight influence becomes pure creation. Every single song is delightful. And few songs hit me in the same way that songs like "Mystery Man", "Together or Alone", or "Drama Mine" do. The record is as sublime as it is angsty, as grungy as it is poppy. A damn near perfect statement.

Now, I realize that obviously most people own this record in some form, but it was just recently reissued. Not that I am reliving the record, it is a staple on my ipod and most playlists, but that it was reissued as a deluxe record with a whole albums worth of demos and b-sides, and I personally can't wait to get my hands on it.

Tracks:
  1. License to Confuse
  2. Careful
  3. Magnet's Coil
  4. Not a Friend
  5. Not too Amused
  6. Dreams
  7. Skull
  8. Got It
  9. Shit Soup
  10. Give Up
  11. Rebound
  12. Mystery Man
  13. Temptation Time
  14. Drama Mine
  15. Together or Alone
Very serious note here, Lou blows J out out of the water any day of the week.

1 comments:

Daniel said...

Always been a fan of Dinosaur Jr........gimmie indie rock was as far as I got with Sebadoh. Thanks for this.

Post a Comment