Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A.A. Bondy - When the Devil's Loose (2009)



I must really be in a sharing mood, two, maybe three posts in one night? Wild. And here I am thinking I wouldn't be able to stop myself from posting once a day. This time around, I am going to share with you a record that has been a staple of my music catalog since it came out in 2009. A.A. Bondy's When the Devil's Loose, his second full-length. A.A. Bondy plays that beautifully subtle Americana style of folk music. Sparse instrumentals, a sultry voice, and knows his way around working a pen. Many critics cite him as Bob Dylan personified, and I am not sure about that one, that is a weird, lofty statement for critics. An easy way out. I do, however, know he is rather elusive, and is also one the greatest songwriters of our generation. Listen up, because this man is important.

When the Devil's Loose is much more adventurous than his first record American Hearts, which was mostly acoustic guitar. This record employs a myriad of instruments to achieve his sound. Hushed drums, and almost muted guitar sound wonderfully full, to give most of the attention to Bondy's voice. "Mightiest of Guns" is the perfect opener, a sparse solo number, that is a showcase for Bondy's gift of songwriting. Songs like "I Can See the Pines are Dancing" and "The Mercy Wheel" are just 2 of many other reasons why Bondy's craft is meticulously honed. But the real gem for me, is the second track "A Slow Parade". An atmospheric number that will have your foot tapping along with the slow pace. His voice, and quiet electric guitar are spot on, especially when the song seems to explode towards the end, in this haze of guitar soloing. If there is any relevant reason to compare such a man to a living legend, then this would be it, a truly great song.

This record is as close to perfect as one could get. A stroke of true genius. Hopefully he can get something else released rather soon, I know I would love to hear more progression.

Tracks
  1. Mightiest of Guns
  2. A Slow Parade
  3. When the Devil's Loose
  4. To the Morning
  5. Oh the Vampyre
  6. I Can See the Pines are Dancing
  7. False River
  8. On the Moon
  9. The Mercy Wheel
  10. The Coal Hits the Fire
There are ashes were you laid.

0 comments:

Post a Comment