Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Cursed - Blackout at Sunrise


Ever get in one of those moods in which you really just don't want to partake in society? And no, I don't mean like some manic depressive cut my wrists type of way. That is just straight foolish. Life is way too cool for those shenanigans. I am talking about the real deal here. Such as when humanity is too....... What's the word I am looking for? Vile. This feeling of disgust has been following me lately, probably because I have been more vigilant with national and international news, along with daily occurrences. Well, when I get this way, I just want to shut off for a bit. Hit the sleep button. Who doesn't? After a long day of working in a kitchen, providing food for the over privileged and reading about how affairs in Libya, Syria, and myriad of other countries, are worsening, I listen to music. And lately that diversion has taken the form of Cursed.

And what better a band than Cursed. Chris Colohan is man that sure has a distaste for most things in the world, and knows how to voice it. The guy has a bone to pick with, well, just about everything. I dig that. There is always something to be angry about, and always a way to voice that anger. And what better backdrop for his raspy howl than Cursed's music. This ep has the perfect example of their sound, loud, tonaly crushing, evil, fast, and all while being dragged through the mud. "Blackout at Sunrise" is definitely one of my favorite Cursed songs, they mash up everything they enjoy in a hardcore song and let it explode. Taking the tension that starts in the intro all the way up to the end, in a violent cacophony of music. This song alone hits that mood I was explaining. Plus, who doesn't want to hear Colohan yelling at the top of his lungs, "We're going to Hawaii!". I know I love hearing it, hell I giggle on the inside.

So, when the world is feeling ugly and tired, just know that there is at least some crazy Canadian out there that feels the same way, and has his own little remedy to share with you.

Tracks:
  1. Blackout at Sunrise
  2. The Hands will Abide
  3. Hawaii
A brilliant white light fills my mouth and eyes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment