Tuesday, April 12, 2011

No Statik - We All Die In The End (2011)


I picked up this little gem today from the local record store to hopefully break up the monotony of my day. No Statik caught my attention due to it's stunning roster of bands whose sound is relevant to my interests. People who have done time in Look Back and Laugh, Talk is Poison, Artimus Pyle, and Scholastic Deth are who make up this group. Enticing, right? And I am sure you can imagine what this band sounds like, too? Straight, fast, hardcore punk with loads of influence taken from crust and Japanese bands. This is the type of band that makes me want to grow out some dreads, write an MRR column, and discuss the Utopian ideals of an anarchist society. Where trash can be free, my urban vegan garden can grow where ever, and my anarchist bookstore/coffeeshop/recordstore/whatevereleseitiscrustpunksdo can flourish. Smells great, huh?

We All Die in the End really is a great record, though. Side A is made up of 6 songs that are furiously aggressive, with incredible guitar work. I can't fathom playing some of this, just fast. Fast, fast, fast. Probably why I am not a guitarist. Lyrics are about a doomed world, typical of crust bands. Religious people have the Rapture, crust punks have the ongoing apocalypse. The end of the world scenario that they think we are already embracing, living in it, man. So deep. The B side of the LP is where things get really interesting. An instrumental track in which the first so many minutes are the band doing what they do best, but without vocals. Then the punk fades, and in it's place is an ambient, electronic drone. The best part is, it pulsates with the same rhythm as the music, which makes an appearance at the end. It was really nice to hear some variety, and a great way to end a record.

So, while you are downloading this great record, I am going to work on growing my dreads, denying myself some showers, and finally get around to putting those bullet casings that I have neglected into my belt.

Tracks:

  1. When We Wake
  2. The Corpse We Will Become
  3. Recurrent Cycles
  4. Surrogate
  5. Deadly Repercussions
  6. Ambivalent
  7. We All Die in the End
Clarified, distilled, recomposed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment