Saturday, April 2, 2011

Much Worse - Absolute Nightmare (2011)



For being eleven posts into the blog, I have yet to post something of this year, or the last, or the one before that. Time to make this experiment relevant of the times. I enjoy aggressive music. Many of my friends and or family that aren't involved in it, don't necessarily understand, but I enjoy the primal aura of abrasive music. Lately, though, I find myself harder to relate to some of the bands within contemporary hardcore punk. The agro, jock sounding hardcore is still as stimulating to me as a dead roach as it was years ago. And most of the current Youth Attack bands just sound redundant to me.

Fear not, I haven't lost my faith in hardcore, and this release proves it. Much Worse is a band hailing from the wonderful land of Minneapolis MN, and this would be their second release. Now the first 7in didn't do much for me, but this record blew me away. Pure, unadulterated Japanese influenced hardcore, and done fucking right. There is even some d-beat/crust influence thrown in for good measure, you know, just in case this record bored you. Now hardcore guitarists pay attention here, because the tone and musicianship is perfect. Which is great because sometimes the vocals can get somewhat monotone on me. "Tarred Lungs" is the perfect example of this, a perfect contemporary hardcore song. It just steam rolls right over you. Tones people, pure sonic blistering music. So if you have found yourself getting somewhat bored with your by the textbook hardcore bands, give this a try.

Tracks:
  1. Saturation
  2. Tarred Lungs
  3. Absolute Nightmare
  4. Dilapidated
  5. Can't Bullshit a Bullshitter
You can't swindle another swindler.

0 comments:

Post a Comment