Friday, April 15, 2011

Knife Fight - Crisis (2007)


I have a playlist of bands and music in my Itunes for things to throw up on the blog. Lots of rare gems, hard to find hits, and music that I think is all around better than yours. Pompous right? This post is going to hold a special place in my heart, Knife Fight's Crisis. Why is this so important to me? Because lately anytime my girlfriend refers to any hardcore and or punk music, she yells at me to put Knife Fight on. Not out of enjoyment, but because she was looking through my ipod one day and put it on based on the name. Then proceeded to laugh when the music started, and my life hasn't been the same since. She's a sweetheart, huh?

Either way, it's a good she won't stop yelling Knife Fight at the top of her lungs, because it reminded me to post this killer record. I don't exactly know why, but it seems this LP went over many listeners heads when it first came out. Probably because it wasn't the SSD/X-Claim worship the band was known for. Throwing away most of the Boston beats for straight Discharge worship, with flares of Poison Idea. I love Discharge because of the straight simplistic approach to hardcore punk music. Every song sounds almost the same, it's great. And now Knife Fight takes that D-beat formula, and filters it through contemporary hardcore. In other words, the riffs are slightly more complicated, and fast. Real fast. And when it got this fast, it got pummelling. Crisis' unrelenting punch is what will make it a true contemporary classic, it never ceases to let up.

What also is crazy, is that one man is behind the graces of Knife Fight. Mr. Westbrook. To know that he is the man responsible for "Lies", makes him inhuman. Just as ferocious as my cat gets when he can't be an outside cat lurking the alleyways of Chicago. The poor little guy would never make it, total wimp. And the drumming. If you are a drummer, or want to start drumming, use this record as your basis for everything perfect in hardcore punk drumming. Take notes people, Discharge seems to be more popular these days and Knife Fight provided the perfect formula for doing it right four years ago.

Tracks:
  1. Held Back
  2. Lies
  3. Live Your Life
  4. Two Face
  5. Acceptance
  6. Fight
  7. Consume
  8. Leech in My Side
  9. Apathy
  10. Crisis
I won't let it consume My life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment