Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Jim Bryson & The Weakerthans - The Falcon Lake Incident (2010)


Mentally, I keep having to remind myself to post more of a variety of music on the blog. So far, the punk/hardcore and folk genres are dominating it. I don't necessarily mean to do such a thing, it is what happens to be resonating with me at the current moment that becomes posted. Oh well, these things happen. And now we have another record with folk relations.

There isn't much I know about Jim Bryson, other than this album and that he is a Canadian. I do, however, know a decent amount about one of Canada's finest exports, The Weakerthans. I for one, thoroughly enjoy The Weakerthans indie/folk leanings with wonderfully narrative lyrics, courtesy of John Samson. Sure the last album was just ok in terms of a full length, but Civil Twilight had some real great moments on it, some of the best of their catalog. And with this collaboration and Samson's solo records, it shows that The Weakerthans are not slowing down. The Falcon Lake Incident is a record that combines the subtle indie rock of the The Weakerthans, with some moody folk music, something they are already great at. However, it is Bryson that shines on this record with Samson taking a backing vocal role, and I am also assuming he had a hand it writing a majority of the music because it doesn't sound like a straight Weakerthans record. This record went unnoticed by many people, it seems, and it sure slipped under my radar until a month ago, so please, take notice now.

That seemed like a rambling jumble of literary garbage, not that it ever isn't..... But hey, it is will past my bedtime and my mind is running astray. Suck it.

Tracks:
  1. Raised All Wrong
  2. Metal Girls
  3. Fell Off the Dock
  4. Wild Folk
  5. Constellation
  6. Freeways in the Frontyard
  7. Up All Night
  8. Kissing Cousins
  9. Decidedly
  10. Anything and All
Despite what they say, we're not like birds or even aeroplanes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment